Sunday, January 14, 2007

Best of Kosher Food Series: Pickles!

Few foods bring out the the Jew in you like a pickle ( or a bagel). The question of course is who makes the best kosher pickle? I have 2 possibilities. The pickle that is known for it's quality as well as it's tremendous history is none other than Gus's Pickles. I was fortunate enough to pick up a glass bottle at a local supermarket in Far Rockaway. Needless to say those half sours were all gone by the time shabbos was out. Now you may tell me Gus's is not available at your local supermarket (but you can purchase them online by clicking here) so I have a close second. I have sampled many different brands of pickles. The best packaged kind is without question Claussen. Just like Gus's they are real crisp with great taste. Try sampling either one and you will see exactly what I'm talking about. If you would like to read about other "Best in Kosher Food" items, click the scroll down on the left side of this page.

15 comments:

torontopearl said...

...and in my neck of the woods -- Toronto -- the best Kosher pickles are put out by Strub's. Check to see if they're available in the U.S.

DAG said...

Gus IS the best. I wish theyd bring back the plastic containers...too commercial in the glass

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Ba-Tampte Half Sours when they are still bright green are hands down the best pickle in the world. And you think Claussen are good? How can you even mention that goyish pickle in the same paragraph with Gus's??? You have not been exposed to enough quality Kosher Pickles!

Anonymous said...

Al Ta'am V'Rayach ain L'Hisvakeach.

AS said...

independent: how true :) I think batampte are pretty good however they don't have much of a shelf life. I think claussen are better than batampte in my opinion.

AS said...

GAD: Surely you are kidding don't you know that glass is so much better for taste then plastic?

orthomom said...

I totally agree on the Gus's half sours. The crunch, and that garlic taste - perfect.

Anonymous said...

Since its Now officially less than two days before Shabbos, can we talk about a different food. Like whats the best Challah Zolmecks or Zolmecks

AS said...

Yid: FYI it's Zomicks:) they have pretty good challah but that's only if you like challah that taste like cake. Perhaps I will post on that soon. thanks fro the idea.

Anonymous said...

well to be honest when I get to them they are out of the bag and hiding under a challah cover. (can you tell that I am suffering from Shabbos envy?)

Anonymous said...

To the person who used "goyish" as a perjorative... Grow up!

Having said that, I agree that Ba-Tempte half-sours beat Claussen any day of the week.

--Dave the GOY!

Unknown said...

The best pickles that I have ever bought in a store are definitely Bubbies Pickles, they don't have any vinegar and are fermented, like Guses. I buy them at Whole Foods and can't get enough.

Anonymous said...

You guys mean Guss' (lower east side) or Gus's, a pickler out of Joplin, Missouri? ----Brockage

David said...

Sarah, "Bubbies" are just rebadged/repackaged Strubs Pickles, so Torontopearl is bang-on. Strubs for the win! You can get Strubs at Wegmans now too :-))).

David said...

Oh, and anything that isn't kept in the refrigerated section, and/or that is fermented in vinegar is crap and tastes like it too (i.e. Claussens!)